Petersfield Town well beaten in Portsmouth Senior Cup final

By Post in Football

Havant and Waterlooville 5 Petersfield Town 0: PETERSFIELD were soundly beaten by Ryman Premier Division champions Havant and Waterlooville in the final of the Portsmouth Senior Cup on Tuesday night.

The Rams barely managed to fashion a half chance on goal, such was the dominance of the Hawks in the Fratton Park final.

Havant took control of the match following a fairly open first ten minutes of this encounter and if it wasn’t for a string of point-blank saves made by Petersfield keeper Matt Collins, Lee Bradbury’s men would have won by a far bigger margin.

The first goal came on nine minutes after Havant moved the ball quickly down the right and a cross to the far post saw Alfie Rutherford turn it back across goal and Jason Prior was left with a tap-in from no more than two yards out.

The Hawks doubled their lead three minutes later when they burst into the penalty area down the left hand side and after a low cross bounced back off the post, Wes Fogden was sent tumbling by Collins as he tried to gather the loose ball.

Collins almost made up for giving away the penalty by getting a strong hand to Prior’s penalty but the ball trickled over the line.

On 16 minutes Collins had to be alert to beat away Jordan Rose’s free header from a corner from inside the six yard box and five minutes later he made himself big enough to block Rory Williams’ shot after he cut in from the right.

The third goal came on 23 minutes after another spell of Havant pressure. Petersfield managed to keep the ball out of their penalty area until Alfie Rutherford seized on a loose ball, burst through the defence and rifled his shot into the roof of the net.

Petersfield made a rare attack into the Havant penalty area after that when Max Smith received the ball 30 yards out and swept a pass right to Matt Andrews. For a moment the Rams striker set his sights on goal when he cut inside his marker but at the crucial moment he lost his footing and the ball was cleared away.

Havant had another chance just before the half hour mark when Fogden’s shot from the edge of the box hit the top of the crossbar.

Any hopes that Petersfield would make a better challenge to Havant’s dominance in the second half evaporated almost as soon as the game restarted.

Rutherford got his second goal of the night inside the first 60 seconds of the second period when he tucked the ball home after Collins had partially blocked his first effort.

Collins had to make another point-blank save from a header inside the six yard box from a corner before the Hawks got their fifth goal on 64 minutes.

Young striker Rutherford completed his hat-trick when he guided home his header after being left unmarked in front of goal again.

With 25 minutes still to play there were real fears at this point that Petersfield would fall to a heavy and embarrassing defeat with plenty of time available for the Hawks to rattle home more goals.

But the scoring was thankfully over for the evening and Collins denied Prior his hat-trick when he blocked the former Newcastle United forward’s shot on the line.

In the dying moments of the game Petersfield had only their second half chance of the entire 90 minutes when Smith’s snap shot went narrowly wide.

Petersfield: Collins, B Neal, Graham, Wycherley, Searle, Green, Andrews (Boxall), Woodford, M Smith, Connor (Giles), Cripps (Corsaro). Subs not used: Beattie, Whiteley.

Attendance: 523.